Sunday, November 4, 2012

Twig Covered Candle Holders



Here is a simple and quick project to tackle in an hour. I used it as a part of a Thanksgiving center piece and table theme I did.  I created the candle holders first and continued to use them throughout the fall holiday season J  

I got inspired by these from Martha Stewart who had a tutorial on how to make a twig vase.  But I thought this idea would be lovely to make a votive and have the candle light peeking through the twigs inside the glass.  So I grabbed some twigs from the backyard (which in October in Florida took some scrounging), some glass votives (I bought mine from the Dollar Tree) and a glue gun (or E6000 glue) and got to work.

What you’ll need:
Glass votives, small glass cups, or recycled candle jars
Twigs
Garden shears or clippers
Glue (Hot, Tacky, E6000:  choose your weapon)
Raffia, Ribbon, Silk Leaves, etc for embellishment

This is super easy!

Step 1:  Gather your twigs and use garden shears trim the bottoms of the twigs.  You can trim all the twigs to exact length for a polished look or leave them in various lengths for a more rustic look.  Just make sure that the twig bottoms are not longer than the votive cup or it won’t sit evenly on the table.




Step 2:  Begin gluing your twigs the around the votive holder.  You can glue them as close together or leave as many gaps as you like.  I played around with this idea since I like the different amounts of light each put out. 
*I have used both hot glue and E6000 for this project.  I like hot glue because it dries immediately, but E6000 leaves a little wiggle room for moving misplaced twigs*




Step 3:  Place candle in holder.  You may embellish with real leaves, silk leaves, raffia, twine, ribbon, or whatever else strikes your fancy J  I have used several different embellishments to match the theme.



Sneak Peek at Centerpiece ideas!



Thank you for looking!  Check out my crafts for sale at my shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment