Wednesday, November 7, 2012

DIY Fancy Plates with Mod Podge

Despite being an avid crafter, I do not have much experience using Mod Podge.  I bought an 8 oz jar of glossy Mod Podge at Wal Mart for less than $5 bucks.  So far I have used it to make two items.  The first thing I did was fancy up a clear glass plate I had left over from an earlier craft.  

I decided to make this clear plate pretty by mod podging it with fancy paper and using it to display some smaller jewelry items.  I wouldn't recommend washing it repeatedly and definitely not dishwasher safe!  I'm using mine to display some rings and earrings during my craft show on Saturday.  
You’ll Need:
·        Mod Podge
·        Clear Plate
·        Sponge Brush
·        Pretty paper
·        Scissors
·        Pen


Step 1:
Trace your plate onto your paper.   Cut out your circle.
**I would trace your circle a little larger than your plate.  I traced my pate and had a small half inch gap between my paper and the edge of my plate**
**Note:  I used cardstock but next time I would choose regular pretty paper and not cardstock.**


Step 2:
Cut slits in your circle almost to the middle but do not cut all the way to the middle.  I cut slits in my circle to create eighths.  I did this by tracing my pate onto a plain white piece of paper.  I folded my template in half, then in half again (fourths) and then in half again (eighths).  I held this on top of my colored paper and cut my slits using the folds.







Step 3:
Cover your clear plate in a generous amount of Mod Podge.  Add your paper and center with the plate.  **As noted, I used my plate and my paper did not quite meet my edges**.  Push down to seal your paper to the plate.



Step 4:
Cover your paper with another layer of Mod Podge.  Mine is currently drying but I will be adding a second layer of Mod Podge tomorrow after work.

*As noted, I would not wash or dishwash this plate, but rather use it as a decorative item (candle holder or jewelry dish).*
I will post pictures of the final project tomorrow J

No comments:

Post a Comment